The Super Bowl: American Football
The Super Bowl is undoubtedly the most watched television broadcast of the year in the United States. Super Bowl Sunday is basically a holiday though not officially recognized by the government, but by popularity, far exceeds any National Government holiday for food consumption, other than Thanksgiving. For television it means over 111,000,000 (111 Million viewers), and therefore one of the most watched events in the world, even if though mostly North Americans, and/or North Americans living in other parts of the world.
Because there are over 100 million viewers, advertising spots are the most expensive for as much as $3 Million per commercial. So, you know the marketers and advertisers are going to do their best to make the very best commercial they can. They have to communicate their message and sell their product or service in 30 seconds or less. The best way to do that has always been through humor. And here is the genius of this sporting event.
Its called the greatest show on Earth, even over The Ringling Brother’s Barnum & Bailey Circus. And, in many ways, it is, its more than a 3-ring circus. And, no matter who you are, you cannot possibly lose by participating, here is why:
1) You have the most popular American Sport, football
2) You have entertaining 30-second short clips of commercials
3) If you go to any party, commercial, private, or even social of a friend, you will be at a party socializing with others. Even if you don’t like football, you can be in another room socializing with people that feel the same.
4) No matter where you go, there will be plenty of food and drink and it will be good food and drink, regardless if its a local bar, restaurant, house party, you know there will be a lot of food, and not just potato chips but its come to a gourmet level to rival any other holiday celebration of holiday food. Beer flows endlessly as to other specialized cocktails.
5) The Half Time Show features popular singers and pop culture icons. Its usually a spectacular show and mini-concert which involves at least 3 different icons.
6) Back to the game, now its sheer interest in the outcome, who is the winner, who is the loser. Again, even if you don’t like football, you want to see who will win because everyone will be talking about it the next day and you have to have some knowledge of it.
7) The Post-Game includes interviews of the victors, players, the losing team usually has not much to say. But there are a lot of interesting stories here and its great to see everyone celebrating with their families and children.
The gossip of this game was super famous, Brazilian, super model Gisele Bundchen. She is married to Tom Brady, Quarterback for the New England Patriots. She wanted all her fans to pray for her husband to win this game so he can be happy and fulfilled. If you are a Patriot fan, a Brazilian, or just someone who idolizes these people, yes, you would do that, but honestly… these people are blessed enough. The most handsome, richest sports figure, married to the most famous, beautiful and richest supermodel, it’s safe to say their prayers have been answered. But I am not knocking them, Its people like this that are great. If it were not for people like this, we would not have similar people like Thomas Edison, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. Nothing satisfies them except the ultimate goal, and it is always for our benefit. If Thomas Edison had given up after 1,000 first tries at the lightbulb, sure, someone else would have invented it, but it might have been 25-50 years later. We can’t fault these people with wanting it all, its a testament that everyone, anyone, can have it all, we have to want it and we have to work for it it until the end.
While I am not American Football’s biggest fan, this is a great day to be celebrated by all since it involves everything for everyone. Food, Drink, Entertainment, Sports, and of course the gathering of family and friends or even strangers on a plane, or in a bar, or in the middle of Times Square in New York. Its a happy event, the only sad thing about this is that there has to be a loser. Otherwise, nothing lost, there is always next year for that team to emerge, but its a happy occasion which we can all celebrate regardless of religion, race, faith, at the end of the day, “its just a game” and making that simple amounts to tons of great food, drinks, memories, gathering of friends, great entertainment and yes, it is all hype, but that IS the American way… and as Americans, we nee to embrace this… we are warriors. With the current global economic view of the world and the pending elections, we can at least rejoice knowing we all come together at least at some point.
And on that point, the best commercial was for Detroit the Motor City, it was chilling to see Clint Eastwood narrate who we are, where we were, where we are going, regardless of the odds. It was perfect. On that note, I need to remind you that since 1776 the world has been betting against the United States of American but we have won every time. And like Clint Eastwood said in the Imported from Detroit commercial “We are America, we hit some hard times, but we find our way around them and if we can’t we find a new way through them” — This is the optimism we need. Its halftime for all of us, for any age, and for the USA, but its not the end. Its time to get back in the game.
The Super Bowl is about entertainment. But deeper, its about American marketing and advertising and something that cannot be duplicated, replicate or imitated in any other part of the world. There is an old Sicilian saying that never bet against a Sicilian when death is on the line… in the same sense, never bet against an American when money OR success is on the line!